Zipp announces their new 303 Firecrest and complete overhaul of the Zipp wheel line-up. With the rise of gravel it seems more companies are designing their wheels to be real world fast and not just wind tunnel fast. Zipp has also launched a new website, new logo designs and more.
Designed for the Real World
The 303 Firecrest Tubeless Disc brake was designed using real-world direct measurements (vs. primarily wind tunnel or computer simulation). This included Zipp’s new RollingRoad™ Testing Protocol. The results were huge. Its rim is slightly more bulbous in design than its predecessor, with a 30mm outside width, a 25mm internal width, and a 40mm rim depth.
The profile provides low drag and an improved transition between rim and tire, boosting aero efficiency on the road. The wide rim stance also features less tire deflection for reduced rolling resistance. The combination of the wider tire, increased tire volume, and lower tire pressure helps to reduce rider fatigue by smoothing out the ride over imperfect pavement and road conditions—the tire and wheel system absorbs the shaking, not the rider. At the center of the 303 Firecrest Tubeless Disc brake is a versatile and durable new hubset, the German-engineered ZR1 DB. This hubset features 66 points of engagement for quicker response.
Now Faster and Lighter
It’s faster, 300 grams lighter, and more capable over varied terrain—whether the surface is pavement in all its conditions or no pavement at all. Deeply rooted in Zipp’s drive to conquer the Spring Classics, the new 303 Firecrest is redesigned with a purpose-made approach for the demands of modern road bikes. This is the first Zipp wheelset to feature TSE™ Technology (Total System Efficiency). The 303 Firecrest’s precise rim layup results in greater all-around efficiency for greater speed through reduced:
- Wind resistance
- Rolling resistance
- Gravity (weight + durability)
- Vibration losses
Zipp Recommends Lower Tire Pressure
A wider tire with lower pressure is faster? Zipp states a wider tire bead interface in relation to the outside rim width, they are able to offer a more aero profile rim-to-tire transition. A wider tire bead interface also allows for a wider tire, which allows for lower tire pressure. Lowering tire pressure can increase overall system efficiency, reduce rider fatigue, and can offer better handling in rough conditions. A wider rim shape paired with a wider tire promotes less rolling tire deflection, resulting in lower rolling resistance.
New Zipp 303 Firecrest Features
- The new Zipp 303 Firecrest offers a 300 gram reduction than its predecessor, making more nimble and fast.
- Tubeless Made Easy, optimized tire bed sign allows for simple tool-free installation and removal with no need for an air compressor to seat the tire.
- Ultra-wide 25mm rim profile creates a better tire interface to be fast on or off the road
- New 40mm rim depth makes a light and aero wheel in every situation
- New ZR1 DB hub is engineered in Germany with better seal design for improved durability and quicker response with 66 points of engagement
- Ships with 12mm front and rear end caps
- Center locking rotor interface. Lockring is included with the wheels
- XDR™ or SRAM/Shimano driver bodies
- Campagnolo driver body sold separately
- Lifetime Warranty
Improvements with a Solid Price
Zipp 303 Firecrest Specifications
|Tire compatibility||Clincher Tubeless Ready|
|Brake compatibility||Disc (Center Lock)|
|Rim – inside width||25mm|
|Rim finish||UD fiber, adhesive decals|
|Spokes / Type||CX-Sprint / 24 Count / 2 Cross|
|Driver body type||SRAM XDR, SRAM / Shimano Road|
|Axle type (Wheels)||TA 12×100, TA 12×142|